Tuesday 17 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book PEER FEEDBACK

SILENT CRIT
Displaying all the work I have up to this point, my peers evaluated my work and discussed potential areas for development. 

Points raised:
- Reduced colours are successful
- The 'I saw this' voice really embodies the meaning of folklore
- Could be good to really over emphasize the humorous elements on the characters.
- The horse in the mock-up needs to be given some context of not included
- Maybe use the whole length to show a linear image, dancers across the country
- Maybe punctuate characters with crazy animal heads
- Work to a limited colour palette of primary and secondary
- Mix textures with block colour

THOUGHTS & REFLECTIONS
I am interested to further explore a linear connection across the pages, but my intentions to inform the reader about the 5 Morris traditions remain the same. Perhaps I could achieve a more unified image at the end, in place of the horse, to show the dancers together, this could include a narrative about the folk festivals they meet at.

The idea of mixing block colour with texture is also interesting as I feel this will aid the strength of my visual clues, perhaps using block colour to enhance the most defining features of each character. 

While my peers praised the tone of voice used in my initial zine, I'm not convinced an 'I saw this' narrative will transfer to the new subject matter. While the tone of voice does embody the very nature of folklore as hearsay, my subject matter has now become more solid and factual, perhaps requiring a more direct narrative. For this I intend to employ short quotes from my transcripts to reveal characteristics of each Morris tradition. 

I agree with the issue of the horse image. My research into Morris dancing has shown the horse to be key to many groups and dances, but I understand that the horse is not necessarily suited to the wider context of the book. I may replace this spread with a more conclusive image of the Morris Men together, displaying their unique qualities in one image. 


Responses to crit in sketchbook


PLAN
Moving on, I now need to refine my characters in line with the feedback received, and make the textures and cut shapes to build these. I will need to go back to my sketchbook to re-plan the final spreads, but hopefully I should be able to formulate a scene from the full figure drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment