Wednesday 18 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book DIGITAL COLLAGE EXPERIMENTATION


PHOTOSHOP COLLAGE
With the given constraint of having to print my picture-book in a digital format, I have decided to test a digital approach to collage in order to create images that I can manipulate more easily within the digital format. Using the drafted spreads drawn out in my sketchbook, I scanned these drawings in and used them as outlines in which to drop-in textures. 

Using the selection tool, I was able to highlight multiple selections at once, dropping in textures to several areas. This proved to be a very efficient method of collaging. However, I feel that the clean, uniformity of the digital aesthetic does not seem to fully achieve the crafted aesthetic I had intended.  It may be that erasing the black outlines would achieve a more accurate mimic of analogue collage but I will need to test the qualities of analogue collage before I pursue this approach.
The ability to apply one texture to several components at once seems to achieve a consistent aesthetic with the textures being applied in one direction across the images. This works well to enhance the simplification of colour and shape, but I will experiment with a more playful textures through variation in texture quality. 

NEXT I MUST TRY ANALOGUE COLLAGE AND COMPARE VALUES

No comments:

Post a Comment