Wednesday 18 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book MAKING COLLAGE TEXTURES

TEXTURE TO ACHIEVE IDENTITY
A key element I identified in my research was the role of textures and colour in Morris costumes. These seemed to be the defining elements of the different teams and traditions so this identity will be pivotal in my picturebook.

Having already explored collage with crayon textures in my early style guide experiments, I felt the grain quality achieved by crayon, achieved a lovely natural looking textures, echoing the connection Morris dancers have with nature and nature folklore, and also appeared rather playful. It was suggested in my tutorial however, that block colours may be needed to aid the balance of the images and strengthen the aesthetic. 

In line with my initial tests and feedback received, I have experimented with markers, crayon, watercolour and cut paper to create a body of marks that correlate to the relevant colours of each character and scheme. 



I have considered pattern but limited myself to single colours so that the pattern becomes more of a tonal, textural feature rather than a bold distraction. 

I may find that some of my characters require loose pencil marks on top of collaged shapes to achieve more textures, but this can be identified in further experimentation. My plan now is to apply these textures to analogue and digital collage experiments to explore the different aesthetics and qualities that these give to the tone of voice of my images.

At this stage I feel analogue collage will work well to achieve the crafting demonstrated in the Morris costumes, however, digital collages may be quicker to produce and be easier to manipulate for digital print

No comments:

Post a Comment