Sunday 22 January 2017

END OF MODULE EVALUATION



EVALUATION
From the outset of this module, I was unsure about my ability to use illustration to communicate experiences. Working across the 3 stages of the module, I feel my approach to research has developed from having an explicit goal, to being more about the awareness and experience of unexpected things. Throughout the module I have been exploring how experiences and narratives can be communicated through drawing and sound mapping, and then studying how narratives in the sense of Folklore are upheld in more practical traditions.  I have been encouraged by the idea of a parallel between context and function, taking the approach that my illustrations could function as educational tools about Folklore, but also promotional devices for the upkeep of these traditions.

Developing a strong awareness of my subject matter encouraged me to consider new approaches to image making. I was strongly influenced by the idea of texture and movement, with a subject matter that demanded playful and vibrant responses, I experimented with collage and handmade textures. Shape as an element I am familiar with in my practice seemed a strong starting point, however, I decided to develop this through more crafted techniques. Working with collage, I was interested to explore how my work could operate on a micro scale to that of the Morris costumes. Making collaged paper dolls, I was able to explore a fragility and craftsmanship I was new to, but apply this to shape based work that seemed to communicate the mischievousness and playfulness of the characters I had designed. Experimentation with textures and collage is discernible in my sketchbook, alongside shape based character development sketches.

For me, a success of the picture-book was the consistent application of vibrant colours and crafted collages as these seemed to maintain a playful aesthetic. The idea of telling an ‘untold story’ seemed to beg a response that was engaging and accessible to a wider audience. This pushed me to explore abstract shapes within my characters, and a rejection of human form, to create characters that were unfamiliar and therefore more universal. This approach to image making seemed to drive the tone of voice of my picture-book by achieving a sense of mischievousness and play across the illustrations. This development was informed by the study of Marcus Oakley and Rob Hodgson, both practitioners who focus on simplified shape in order to communicate strong character dynamics.

On reflection, I feel that my body of research was thorough and exhaustive, but perhaps ate into time I had to develop my visual responses. In light of this I feel I could have benefitted from having made more visual outcomes in the earlier stages of development, yet I am pleased with the outcome of my work and feel it very much requites the problems identified in my research.

The blogging process enabled me to draw more informed conclusions about the direction of my work, and I feel self-questioning was key to progress. Silent crits worked particularly well to open my eyes to alternative approaches and make sense of the direction of my narrative. I hadn’t quite captured the whole sense of the tradition, as my peers pointed out, my illustrations were disjointed and needed a visual conclusion. This drove me to consider all the characters together and in light of this, my narrative became more sequential and cohesive. Furthering my practice, a greater exploration of alternative directions could inform more developed and relevant responses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment