Tuesday 17 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book FURTHER CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT


Finally getting somewhere...

EXHAUSTIVE SKETCHBOOKING
Further to my design sheets, I have worked exhaustively in my sketchbook to create characters that achieve the mischief and fun of Morris dancing. Responding to each of the 5 Morris traditions, I've created a range of characters which could be applied and adapted depending on the composition I choose to apply to each spread

The sketchbooking process has proved really useful to me at this stage as I have been quite slow with visual responses and development, and this has forced me to repeatedly draw the same characters and shapes to generate a large body of possibilities. I feel that this exhaustive approach to character design has enabled me to produce a wealth of variations which each capture a different tone of voice and hopefully can be developed in appropriate media to channel the Morris traditions. 



Through abstract forms and comical shape I have attempted to foster some traits of Marcus Oakley's work, channelling a playful aesthetic suitable to the subject matter. It will be interesting to see how my peers respond to these in the silent crit. I may need to alter some characters slightly to correspond with changes in layout and composition. At the moment it seems that some characters, with the nature of their costumes, are better suited to being closely cropped, while others need the full figure to fully communicate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment