Monday 16 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book TUTORIAL


WHAT PROGRESS CAN I MAKE?
The main point of discussion from my tutorial with Matt was the playfulness of my imagery. While my media tests showed simplified characters and busy layering, Matt suggested playing around with shape and gesture more to create more humorous characters to connect with the fun subject. Having seen my character work across the modules, Matt identified that my characters are often quite mischievous, which I hadn't identified myself, but does seem true, and that idea of cheeky and mischievous is something I want to bring through into my Morris book

To progress this I will work through more design sheets and in my sketchbook to explore more abstract body shapes and facial features to really exaggerate the humour of these characters. Comedy eyebrows and ears seem fitting somehow...

Additionally, we discussed simplifying my images down even further. 
How little information is needed to communicate the whole?
Reducing  my images down to more closely cropped, minimal shapes could create a more direct aesthetic that communicates in as just a coherent way. Colour play may aid this by enhancing shapes and pages to allow simpler images to really sing. 

WHAT NEXT?
Responding to the given feedback I will go back to my sketchbook to fully exhaust possibilities for humorous characters and start to play with media as a means of exploring colour schemes and shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment