Sunday 15 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book MEDIA EXPERIMENTATION

TESTING
Working from source images from Arcadia Britanica, I have explored collage as a starting point for developing my visual responses. Creating textures with china-graph and colour pencil, I have made some rather playful, free marks to achieve an energetic and playful aesthetic. Collaging from these has enabled me to layer up my own textures and marks, issuing shape qualities with the direction of the knife. Attempting to work within a reduced colour palette, I'm not sure how well the textures stand up against one another, but this is an element I could refine.

My ideas have been to create images that capture a character from each tradition, focusing on that tradition's unique qualities to create the image. A consideration of composition will be key to the development of this, in order to ensure the focus remains on the unique characteristic of each tradition. 


REFLECTION
To work towards some more refined and developed images, I may explore the use of cut paper, adding block colour to enhance the value and strength of the collaged components. This may work through adding texture to coloured paper, or alternating coloured paper with handmade textures to explore a busy and playful aesthetic. While the hand-type has worked to explore a narrative, I will need to explore digital type in order to achieve text that is complimentary, yet subtle alongside the imagery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment