Thursday 19 January 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Picture-book DEVELOPMENT OF FINAL PAPER CHARACTERS




PAPER MORRIS DOLLS
Following the process used in my experimentation, I have used templates from my drawings to create hand-cut paper dolls of each character. Applying more subtle textures in the form of watercolour washes, with my textural crayon details, these characters have achieved so much personality and playfulness through careful consideration of media. 

Working on a rather small scale, the figures really capture the fragility of the media and the textural qualities sensitive to the subject matter. I'm really pleased with the outcomes as I have been able to maintain the aesthetic of my character sketches but within a much more crafted approach that compliments my intentions.

The use of block colour works really effectively to break up textural areas and bring prominence to details, and this has worked well in unison with reduced colour palettes to really identify each team and tradition honestly.  


BACKGROUNDS
In line with the watercolour textures and colour palettes applied to the characters, I have made watercolour background washes for each character, applying a contrasting or complimentary colour to maintain the vibrant palette of my book. This will be scanned in along with the characters and vibrancy and levels altered on Photoshop where necessary to control the values of each illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment