Thursday 9 March 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Persons of Note SYNECDOCHE TASK


SYNECDOCHE
-a figure of speech in which a term for a part of something refers to the whole of something

PRODUCE AN A2 POSTER THAT COMMUNICATES A SUBJECT BASED ON AN ILLUSTRATION OF A RELEVANT SYNECDOCHE

This was a great exercise in encouraging us to think about visual clues and substitution of information. What can I say through alternative clues? I found it really useful to think about nick-naming, considering what it is about a person that gives them their name and how single elements can define the whole. Reducing these to single words or short phrases seemed to aid the immediacy of visual elements. 

Working through various synecdoches, I produced multiple roughs for each, considering compositional and stylistic devices. Choosing to work with the subject of Lizzie the lady with the hoop earrings, I focused my ideas on the word 'Hoops' and how this can be used to describe the object as well as the subject. Working to the given time frame, the outcome was not very refined, but ink enabled me to achieve a range of line qualities and marks that contributed towards a visually interesting outcome, perhaps allowing the fluidity of the brush strokes to compliment the form of the hoops.

If this was a more extended task, I think I would look at developing the composition of my poster but within the constraints of the brief, I feel the outcome effectively communicates a synecdoche, demonstrating the strength of visual clues in immediacy and message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment