Tuesday 14 March 2017

Studio Brief 2 - What is image making? BIT-MAP ALTERATIONS

FIRST ATTEMPT YELLOW LAYER 
-60% FREQUENCY















SECOND ATTEMPT YELLOW LAYER
-25% FREQUENCY
















FIRST ATTEMPT RED LAYER
-60% FREQUENCY













SECOND ATTEMPT RED LAYER
-25% FREQUENCY














After the first screen print, I had found my bit-map positives to be ineffective due to the dots being too small and tight. I had initially worked with a resolution of 300 dpi and a frequency of 60% which was a guideline I had followed but unfortunately did not work for this particular print. To alter this I reduced the frequency to 25% to create larger, more spaced out dots which created a much more open and clear bit-map outcome. 



I also took the opportunity to refine my initial positives as I had decided that the colour values were not in the correct hierarchy. With the subject of Morrissey, I felt the hair and eyebrows were most iconic and therefore needed to be the strongest values in order to achieve a compositional hierarchy. I have therefore substituted the block red and half tone reds with one another, also using chinagraph to introduce another texture. 
The use of chinagraph texture works well to add interest to the hair and eyebrows. With these being the main components of the image, I felt this would achieve a more effective outcome than areas of plain block colour. 

Hopefully with these alterations I should be able to produce some more successful outcomes in the print-room, and hopefully achieve some half-tones and overlays this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment