Tuesday 14 March 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Persons of Note LITERATURE ANALYSIS - THE LADY IN THE VAN

UNPICKING THE BOOK
Having carried out some initial research into the works of Alan Bennett, I've chosen to further study 'The Lady in the Van'. I've selected this book as it accounts a real-life tale about Bennett and a significant part of his life. Working from a factual account, I should be able to develop a greater insight into Bennett's character and his relationship with the lady on his drive, alongside providing a strong base for visual development

From reading the book I have selected some key quotes and ideas that will inform my visual and conceptual development:

IDEAS
-hidden in leaves
-hiding behind typewriter
-viewpoint of windscreen, voyeur
-Alan propping up the van/ giving it a push-off
-figure peeping through curtain
-skiing in a wheelchair

QUOTES
-MS "I've had some close shaves with snakes"
-AB "Miss Shepherd and her van had for some months been at a permanent halt opposite my house'
-MS 'greasy raincoat, orange skirt, Ben Hogan golfing cap and carpet slippers'
-AB " There was a gap between out social position and our social obligations"
- "Tell me, is she a genuine eccentric?"
-MS 'All her vehicles ended up looking as if they had been given a coat of badly made custard'
-AB "In there garden at least she was out of harm's way"
-AB "Now inevitably, the van and Miss S ended up in my garden"
-MS 'hats were always a feature'
-MS 'strands of lank grey hair escaping from under her headscarf'
-AB "Miss S wants to spread a blanket over the roof"

From my readings I have created a few different ideas in my head about the two characters and their relationship. Something which seems really key to their relationship is a sense of mutual wondering a prying, perhaps suggesting that my images could explore voyeurism and secrecy. Further to this there is the almost retired state of Miss Shepherd and her van, particularly with it being in the garden, which seem to suggest life going on around them. I may look to explore foliage and natural imagery as a means of showing the time that has passed while she has inhabited the garden.

Moving forward, I now need to explore visual responses through sketches and roughs in my sketchbook. I feel that working from literature has enabled me to identify a wealth of potential approaches to the subject matter, decoding information and identifying underlying aspects of character

No comments:

Post a Comment