Wednesday 1 March 2017

Studio Brief 2 - Acts of Kindness MONOPRINTING










STENCILS BASED ON OWN DESIGNS - PROBLEMS AND SUCCESSES
As a means of exploring simplification of my sticker designs, I created some basic templates from these to experiment with through mono-printing.  As we had been set the task of exploring our own designs through mono-print, I went to the session having already prepared my stencils, however, many of my peers created abstract stencils in session and just explored possible outcomes. While answering the brief by exploring my own designs, I did find that abstract shapes seemed to work more effectively as the images were not impacted by flipping or over printing in the same way that more specific shapes were. 

As I had created stencils that were slightly more illustrative than just abstract shapes, I did struggle at times to fully explore the possibilities of mono-print. The feet stencils seemed to work effectively as these could be rotated, flipped and overlayed, and still communicate. However, I did have more difficulties with the flowers stencil as this lost its form in certain prints. 



AESTHETIC VALUES
I found that first prints had a lovely clarity and crispness to them, but second prints and over-prints offered more textural outcomes. Mixing inks and over printing with different colours enabled me to explore interplays with colour and these achieved a lovely contrast against the crisp white areas blocked out my the stencils. The unique qualities provided by the analogue process meant that each outcome offered a unique aesthetic. This was effective in producing a range of very varied outcomes from one process. 

From this workshop, I was particularly inspired by the potential outcomes that could be achieved from just 2 or 3 colours, all determined by how they were overlayed and placed on the plate. I am interested to explore how similar interplays can be achieved in Illustrator in line with the constraints of the brief. 
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment