Tuesday 14 March 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Persons of Note TUTORIAL FEEDBACK


CONVERSATION WITH JAMIE
I felt quite prepared for this tutorial, I had researched my 3 choices, made a justification of why I had chosen Alan Bennett, read one of his texts and started to work visually in my sketchbook. I explained to Jamie that I had chosen Alan Bennett based on the absence of existing visual ties. I felt that the other 2 creatives had too much imagery surrounding them which might sway my responses. Having finished reading 'The Lady in the Van', I explained some ideas to Jamie. We discussed how I could visually explore the relationship between Bennett and his resident, as opposed to taking the more generic approach of illustrating the tale itself. 

This is something I have already started to consider, making notes from the book on scenes that document the most interesting interactions between the two protagonists. Having identified that Bennett's work is mainly satirical and often a social commentary, I am proposing to explore how social cultures of the time can be explored within the narrative of my illustrations. 

-How is it that an elderly lady has come to live in a van?
-What are the discussions about social codes in relation to Bennett and his visitors?
-Is there a conversation about class and status between Bennett and his resident old woman?

PLAN
Moving forward with the project, the plan now is to consider how I can portray the issues of INTRIGUE, PRYING, CURIOSITY AND SUSPICION through imagery that explores the relationship between the protagonists and a mutual wondering. 

Jamie suggested treating the A2 poster as a sort of mother-ship from which the smaller outcomes satellite off. I think this is a really helpful way to phrase it as the poster will be able to act as the whole idea and I will then be able to create smaller images that capture more specific or perhaps more generic aspects of the relationship or wider legacy of Alan Bennett.

I will now start to explore roughs and sketches to create a wealth of imagery that may be able to develop into more refined images through media play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment