Thursday 2 March 2017

Studio Brief 2 - Act of Kindness ILLUSTRATOR TESTS


EXPERIMENTATION ON ILLUSTRATOR
I've tested out some of my initial designs using vector imagery on illustrator. As the brief asks for a vector-based outcome, I carried out my initial drawings and roughs taking into consideration reduced and simplified shapes. I have then been practicing the production of these shapes using vectors. The 'give flowers' sticker has worked effectively with uniform vector shapes as these have enabled me to achieve a consistency across forms, contributing towards a sleek and refined image

I also experimented with overlays to see how I could maximise the 2-colour palette. This has worked well to echo screen-print qualities, also I am unsure about how this works within this particular image as I feel the effect is too subtle. Perhaps this is an issue with scale though? I certainly think I would need to alter the scale of this image in order to maximise the composition through picture area. 

I also think my text may need altering, perhaps different phrasing would be more considered and reflective of the brief to 'encourage and act of kindness'. Why give flowers? Why is it kind? Spreading smiles? Sharing life and growth?


I have also explored the production of my 'jazzy socks' design. I found this design a little more difficult to produce, but now I have practiced using the pen tool, I should be able to create similar images more easily. I used the reflection copy tool in order to create two legs that were identical and symmetrical to one another. Within the given circular picture area, I feel that symmetry has here worked well to achieve a neat and refined aesthetic. The round form seems to suit a measured and structure composition which I feel is achieved well through a central and balanced composition. 

I have used the pen tool to add gestural marks to infer a dancing narrative. The pen tool was effective here as I was able to alter the stroke to create a gestural mark that offered a sense of action. To refine this image however, I would look to exaggerate these lines in order to portray a greater sense of movement.

I think a success of my roughs was the consideration of simplification and reduced forms as this has meant that I have been able to translate these images within he digital media while maintaining a consistent aesthetic.

PLAN
Explore vector developments of potential alternatives and explore refinements to these designs in order to make effective use of picture area and message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment