Tuesday 14 March 2017

Studio Brief 3 - Persons of Note INITIAL DRAWINGS


INITIAL RESPONSES
Considering my initial research around Alan Bennett, I have begun by sketching some rough portraits, thinking about how I might translate Alan visually without creating a photo-realistic portrait. From reading 'The Lady in the Van' I've started to think about the nature of Alan's relationship with Miss Shepherd and how this might translate through visual clues. As a starting point I have explored some potential imagery surrounding Miss Shepherd and her van but as I progress I want to focus more on the mutual wondering that seems to occupy both Alan and the lady on his drive. 


While these are simply rough sketches, I think some of the more gestural lines work really effectively to translate information without over complicating the imagery. Particularly in the sketch of the van, the foliage and sense of nature carrying on around Miss Shepherd is quite key and I feel the simplified, gestural lines communicate this sense of overgrown nature immediately but under an appropriate tone of voice that is sensitive and stylistic. 


IDEAS TO DEVELOP
I would really like to develop this image as I feel that it captures two issues key to the narrative; being stationary in a moving world, and hiding or spying. A simple character peeping immediately communicates the idea of prying and wondering, something which I have found to be pivotal to Bennett's relationship with Miss Shepherd. I may look to develop further imagery surrounding the subject of voyeurism, perhaps capturing a simultaneous spying from both characters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment