Friday 17 March 2017

Studio Brief 2 - What is image making? SCREEN PRINT REFINEMENTS

 

ROUND 2 - NEW POSITIVES, NEW SCREENS, NEW SCREENS AGAIN
After making alterations to my bit-map positives and re-doing the entire process, I have finally achieved some half-tone overlays. Although I did encounter every problem possible in order to achieve this. Firstly, our screen was damaged meaning that the ink was not pulling through properly in certain areas. Fortunately this did impact on my print too much, it was more on my partners side of the screen, but I did have some difficulty getting the text to pull through on my prints. 

While the red layer achieved the correct tonal values, the yellow layer, despite having a much larger and more open bit-map, did still not pull through on the face. I have managed to achieve some overlays on the hat, achieving a third, orange tone, but I had hoped to achieve an orange overlay on the face. 


Additionally, the yellow layer proved difficult as the screen was also damaged in this area and was only seeming to print fragments of the image so we had to re-expose on a new screen. The second screen, undamaged, created very clear, full prints so we finally started to get some outcomes closer to what we had expected. 



REFLECTION
Despite the problems we encountered, I feel that our perseverance with the process, and willingness to repeat stages until we achieved a good outcome finally paid off. My prints are still without the intended yellow tones on the face but I think this is something I will just have to practice more with in the future. The tonal hierarchy has worked out as intended and I am glad I altered my positives to accommodate this as the chinagraph has really given strength to the most iconic elements of Morrissey's profile

I feel that I have demonstrated consideration of composition through line of sight, using the party hat to direct the eye towards the face, and using the text also to frame this as the key part of the image. Value and texture have worked well to place hierarchy on the key components of the image and a central composition has worked to frame the image. 


No comments:

Post a Comment