Saturday 18 February 2017

Studio Brief 2 - What is image making? SCREEN PRINT OUTCOME






















REFLECTION
Unfortunately, the use of bit-map has not had the desired effect on my design. I did double check my positives with the print technicians prior to exposing but they said it can sometimes just be trial and error with bit-map. I intended the face being a light orange tone, with small dots of both red and yellow creating a third colour. Unfortunately, the ink didn't pull through in this area on any of the prints. Similarly, the party hat should have shown orange tones but these failed to reveal also.

Despite the absence of half-tones and overlays, I feel that the blank areas to add to the simplicity of the image and the block line used to describe the jawline enables the face to remain clear. 


COMPOSITION

Attempting to consider the elements we have been studying in visual language, I tried to use diagonal lines to direct the eye around the image, using the party hat to extend the image into the corner of the picture area, whilst also creating a line of sight leading to the main character. Using horizontal text, the text is clear but also seems to work as a frame to the head. Despite the failure of the bit-map half tones, there is clear variation in values, I would however alter these when I alter the bit-map in order to change the importance of components.

PLAN

I am hoping to make time to re-do these prints as I feel the outcome could be much more successful. Having discussed my initial outcomes with my tutors, I am going to re-make my positives using a more open bit-map frequency which should hopefully be more clear when exposing. I also intend to alter the values of the facial features. I identified in my designs that a key motif of Morrissey was his eyebrows and quiff so it seems to make more sense to have these as block colours to create a clear trope of his character, and change the nose and cheeks to half-tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment