Friday 17 February 2017

Studio Brief 2 - What is image making? SCREEN PRINT DESIGNS

FAN ART
-simplification
-visual clues
-minimalisation of imagery
-key information
-restricted colour palette (2)
- use bit map to explore value

TROPES AND MOTIFS
Responding to the brief to create a 2-colour screen print, I have roughed some initial designs considering visual clues and key imagery. What is key about that character? What defines them? I started working across 3 subjects, Fantastic Mr Fox, Amelie and Morrissey. I've chosen to progress with Morrissey as the other two, being films, already have a plethora of images and motifs surrounding them. I feel Morrissey will be a challenge for me to explore visual clues relating more to personality and character as opposed to a predefined narrative. 

An aesthetic motif I believe to be key to Morrissey is thick eyebrows and a quiff so I have been exploring how these can be used as visual clues to create a simplified portrait that is easily aligned with the subject. Working with these conventional tropes of Morrissey has also enabled me to omit other facial details that lack the same level of importance, reducing the design to basic shapes. 

A trope of the character's personality is misery and so I have chosen to play on his song 'Unhappy Birthday' to create an ironic image of Morrissey, wearing a party hat. The hat, simple and direct, works as an immediate clue, seemingly comical when juxtaposed against the character.  I intend to add text to enhance the message of this for wider audiences. 

PROCESS
With the brief requiring us to explore value and the use of bit-map, I have broken my design down into positives, and explored the overlay of colours through rough drawings. I intend to use a line drawing as a template for a photoshop development which bit-map can be applied to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment