Monday 7 November 2016

Studio Brief 3 - Judge a Book by its Cover... ROUGHS

Following on from my initial sketches, these are the 5 roughs I produced for our crit on Monday. I am quite happy with the outcomes as I feel each one considers a different interpretation of the theme of the book. In the rough that uses bright triangles I chose here to take a more abstract approach to the illustration of the theme, using geometric shapes to explore a jigsaw/ puzzle motif, connecting with the undertone of cooperation and learning to fit together in society. I do feel however, that this cover is too abstract and does not create a clear enough impression of the book. 

The use of hats in another of my roughs has proven successful as these take an alternative approach to the idea of culture and rituals. This imagery seems to give a fun feel to the subject matter, yet also symbolises a variety of issues within the book. From feedback I received I may look to consider a more unified approach to the hat imagery as it was noted that while these do illustrate multiple cultures, they are not connected with one another visually. To develop this I may explore the idea of hats on a hatstand to introduce that sense of unity.

On reflection, I have found the images that illustrate a sense of diversity and community are the most successful as their use of multiple smaller images creates a pattern like images, yet captures the essence of the book clearly. I may look to develop my other ideas in line with this through experimentation with multiples and repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment