Thursday 10 November 2016

Studio Brief 3 - Judge a Book by its Cover... DEVELOPMENT



Working towards a final outcome I have chosen to develop the hat motif explored in my roughs. It was suggested to me that I consider a more unified approach to the images, considering how the hats are connected to each other. In light of this I have explored the idea of hats on a hat stand. To experiment with composition I photocopied the hats from my initial drawing and cut these out so they could be placed and moved on a paper hat stand to enable me to explore multiple compositions. I feel that at this stage, the hat stand is making much better use of the space as it allows for the text to have its own space, yet the page is full. Working with cut outs in this sense encouraged me to explore digital collage. Taking inspiration from Louise Lockhart's work, I cut my shapes out on plain paper and scanned these in. Using the magic wand tool I was able to make easy selections in order to separate the hats and work on them as separate layers. This process worked successfully for the book cover as composition has been a main focus and I have been able to constantly change and manipulate the layout by working digitally. Clearing the selection on photoshop meant that I was able to drop in my chosen colours, and add texture through the dissolve brush. I am very pleased with the results from this process as the cut outs have achieved a hand cut quality while taking on the qualities of a digital collage with digitally made textures and colour. 

I have made the decision to use the hand drawn type explored in my sketchbook and roughs. This decision was made based on the hand qualities and curiosities the process produces and the unevenness of the brush marks as these add to the charm of the handmade approach. Working towards a final outcome I have scanned this lettering in and applied it digitally to avoid any errors and to enable me to resize and alter the text to the most successful scale and position

No comments:

Post a Comment