Thursday 3 November 2016

Studio Brief 1 - What is drawing? MARK MAKING AND TONE

INTERPRETATION

-LIGHT and DARK
-CONSTRICT and RELAX
-THIS WAY and THAT WAY

Interpreting pairs of contrasting words, I produced a dictionary of marks that referred to the action or imagery that I drew from each word. Exploring media, tone and application, the marks capture both a sense of line quality and pattern. Creating a response to opposites meant that the marks could be applied to drawings to illustrate contrasts of any form, and especially to create a sense of variation and toneI found that building up patterns and textures through smaller repetitive marks was more effective as they had a greater sense of 'the hand of the maker'





















Considering what we learnt from this exercise and the study of line quality, we applied this to an imaginary house. I chose to apply my marks by creating textures from which I could collage. For me, this was an enjoyable process as hand cutting these shapes created jaunty lines which added charm. The simplistic cut paper approach allowed me to employ a multitude of textures without these overlapping and interfering with each other.



I would be interested to explore a greater sense of tone and dimension in collage across the module. 

No comments:

Post a Comment