Tuesday 1 November 2016

Studio Brief 2 - Illumination... DEVELOPMENT

RESPONDING TO FEEDBACK
Considering the feedback received in my tutorial, I am now altering my images to foster a greater sense of simplicity. For the office scene which I had initially drawn with a man at the desk, I am in the process now of working out how one visual clue can create the impression of 'a failed attempt to have fun'. Maintaining the party imagery explored in my initial ideas, I think I am going to use the party hat as the clue. This seems to achieve the satire explored in my initial ideas by illustrating the futility of fun at work, and is supported by the absence of a character to further explore the incapabilities of adults to have fun, as outlined in my article. 

A point raised in my tutorial was the use of character and whether faces were needed to communicate the message. While I feel that anonymity reflects the subject matter quite well, I felt that on reflection, the balloon needs that sense of character to communicate on its own. In light of this, I have applied an absent, expressionless face to a man in a suit, creating a very stereotypically boring character. Applying this to a balloon issues the sense of juxtaposition between fun and life, communicating the main point of the text


MEDIA AND PROCESS
Working to the constraint of a two colour palette, I have been playing around with potential colours and considering how tonal variation could be used to maximise these palettes. I've carried out some small tests to explore overlays of colour and I have concluded the chinagraph pencil achieves a really sensitive texture which would work nicely as a screen print. Working to the time constraints of the brief however, I have separated my layers in the same ways I would for screen but I am going to use selection tools and layering on photoshop to mimic the print process. This should achieve interaction between colours, variations in tone and the alignment errors typical of a screen print.

PHOTOSHOP PROCESS
- scan chinagraph layers in
- use magic wand tool to select area
- select similar to highlight whole layer
- fill with block colour
-alter opacity and blending modes
-use transform tools to misalign layers

No comments:

Post a Comment