Friday 18 November 2016

Studio Brief 1 - What is drawing? SHAPE AND TEXTURE


Analogue approaches to image making seem to incidentally create unique details and visual curiosities. While flat colours and hard edges have an immediacy suitable to quick communication, it seems the tone of voice of an illustration can be more thoroughly explored through shapes and textures.

SIMPLIFYING IMAGES

The task set to encourage exploration of shape required a restricted colour palette of 2 colours plus black, using cut paper and black in any medium. I found this constrained approach to image making interesting as I had to give more consideration to the information each shape and component provided, aiming to use minimal information for maximum effect

Simplification worked most successfully in the images where gestural lines, and incomplete lines were used to infer the shape. This worked to provide a visual clue without over complicating the image, using shape and line to tap into the universal image of the vegetable



APPLYING TEXTURE

Applying similar approaches to a self portrait, I also considered texture, through handmade marks. Using a multitude of crayons and paint, I created  a bank of textures which I cut out to create elements of my image. Not only do these components introduce textural details, the cut paper also offers a handmade quality, giving a sense of crafting within the image making. 

In light of my previous work, the process of working with cut paper enabled me to work more flexibly with the action of my character and composition of the image, being able to play around with the positioning of the paper. I feel that collage would be a good approach for me to develop as I can employ the textures I enjoy, within a process that is more fluid and flexible, to give more scope to my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment