Tuesday 6 December 2016

Studio Brief 2 - Visual Journalist INITIAL IDEAS


FOLKLORE...
Out of my 3 themes, WATER, FOLKLORE and CONFLICT, I've chosen to explore folklore as I feel it is possibly the subject which will invite the most interpretation and opinion

My only initial knowledge about folklore is that it is based on story telling, myths and legends that are passed through traditions and characterise certain places and things. I don't know of any folklore tales myself, and I'm not really aware of any particularly mythical places so some peer feedback has helped me a lot. 

Conversations with 3 peers started to unravel ideas about landscapes, animals and stories that are accepted to be connected with folklore. Suggestions included fairies, goblins, wolves and witches, castles, woodlands and forests, and fairy tales and haunted tales. We started having some conversations about locations that might have folklore connections, considering heritage and culture surrounding these.

For the field trip I am thinking of visiting some woodland areas, perhaps documenting sensory details and observation and considering how these might be interpreted as narratives.

The definition of folk has having unknown origins is an element I am interested in exploring. Perhaps I will find some curiosities on my trip that invite speculation and lack explanation and I may be able to collect some interviews with people discussing their interpretations and tales they know. 

PLAN
-research local history/ local folklore
-identify places of interest and topics to research
-go find out


INITIAL ZINE - FORMULATING STARTING POINTS
From the initial peer discussion, I put together some broad initial ideas in a zine, as a starting point for the themes and approaches I may consider. Just using pencil and charcoal I have documented some initial considerations, prompts which I may follow on my field trip to exhaust different paths of the subject

No comments:

Post a Comment