Thursday 8 December 2016

Studio Brief 1 - What is drawing? COLLAGE

Continuing to build on the work explored on shape and texture, working to my visual subject of pirates, I have developed these skills through collage. Considering the re-appropriation of images and how images can be altered to form new messages and aesthetics, I used photocopies of existing ephemera as the base for my collages. 




Across the 8 page booklet I have tried to work in restricted colour palettes, keeping to 2 or 3 colours per image. This has worked effectively in several of the collages to give prominence to textural details and the use of layering. Colour has also served to add a contemporary feel to the aged imagery I have used, showing the changing possibilities offered by collage.



The layering of paper has worked well to introduce depth in this image, the composition and construction of the image seems to interplay with the imagery to infer a new narrative. I am pleased with the way the fragmentation of the head in this picture has introduced a level of humour and characterisation, almost ridiculing the pirate character a little, suggesting the ability of collage to challenge meaning.



I am interested to explore how collage can be used in my practice to alter the aesthetic of my drawings. Perhaps I could fragment and tear or distort my own drawings to challenge the characters and narratives that I have created. In the collage above I considered the emotion in the face and how the lettering challenges this to create a satirical element. Enclosing the figure in the torn textures, with the word across the mouth, seems to force the character into a new narrative and this could be something to explore in light of story telling. How can I change the narrative and tone of voice of an image without changing the focus of the image?


My other outcomes explored more fragmentation and layering, however I felt these were not as successful through their slightly busier compositions and feel some components could have complimented one another better. As I develop my practice I may value from creating multiple collages from the same components to explore the different ways in which I can approach image making. 


No comments:

Post a Comment