Thursday 8 December 2016

Artists Research - HENRY BOURNE

 ARCADIA BRITANNICA - HENRY BOURNE
In line with my initial research, I searched for books in the library on the subject of folklore. I came across this photo-documentary book, documenting Morris dancers from folk festivals up and down the country. As a starting point for visual research, these images could provide the base for some initial drawings. 

I am particularly interested in the way Bourne has captured the personality and playfulness of Morris through costume and character, documenting these people within the context of their practice. Covering several festivals, I am interested in the culture Bourne has channeled into his photo-book, documenting the plethora of traditions and character in Morris. While Bourne captures some rather candid images, others are more staged, documentary images. In light of my own work, I am interested to capture the personality and tradition of each character so will look to form characters that appear candid and more mischievous.  

While I have made arrangements to visit a Morris dancing practice, this book will aid the initial visual research I will carry out into Morris dancers and Morris cultures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment