Wednesday 7 December 2016

Studio Brief 2 - Visual Journalist FIELD TRIP

COTTINGLEY & BINGLEY

Having done more research, I discovered that Cottingley Woods housed a cup and ring stone, associated with folklore as a means of telling stories through symbols, alongside it's history of fairies and woodland landscape. I already knew about the Cottingley Fairies so this seemed like a good place to start my research, taking in Bingley and Cottingley Woods to explore a relevant landscape.


Route followed.

Initial observations took the form of photographs and rubbings, documenting the landscape and capturing natural textures and curiosities. 



 


Tree rubbings.

The rubbings and sound maps I made could be used as applied textures within collages to introduce a sense of the landscape in media.


Following a trail from Bingley park, through Cottingley Woods, to Cottingley Beck, I was able to take in the river, woods, streams and parkland, encountering a wealth of natural curiosities, two of which were trees that seemed to look like faces. It seemed fitting really that close to the beck of the fairies, were these two trees, one which looked like a witch's face and the other like a gnome's nose. I documented these as photographs and simple line drawings but they could inform more developed illustrations if I was to pursue a focus on mythical landscapes.

I had also gone in search of a cup and ring stone but had no look finding it so made observations of the journey and audio recordings of the location in which I hoped to find it instead. 



CONCLUSION
Having spent a day observing the landscape and location of folklore evidence, I've collected a wealth of rubbings, audio recordings, line drawings and photographs to inform the next stage of my research. Hopefully I should be able to find out more about the cup and ring stones from my interviews, but I intend to develop my collected work through collage and more developed drawings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment