Thursday 13 October 2016

Studio Brief 1 - What is drawing? WHAT IS A SKETCHBOOK?

FUNCTIONALITY

As a starting point to the visual language sketchbook, the discussion of what a sketchbook is opened up a greater understanding of the functionality of the sketchbook. A place for an ongoing, iterative process, pressing ideas into the page in whichever way they fit. It is a place in which to teach oneself about drawing and the development of ideas revolving these drawings.


WORKING TO A VISUAL SUBJECT

As a first response to the sketchbook process, I documented a selection of drawings working to the visual subject of sheds and tree-houses.



Using a range of media I explored line quality through texture and tone. Working in ink produced very fluid, quick drawings to document ideas on the page quickly. I worked into some of these will pro marker and chinagraph to add colour and variation. The chinagraph pencil worked well to achieve tone and texture through it's grainy quality, while the pro markers added a more graphic aesthetic through bold colour






To develop my practice it could be useful to use the sketchbook to document a wealth of smaller drawings on one page, to document as many ideas as possible which could be worked from with more consideration in a later process. Finding a way of working in my sketchbook will come to me as I work through the modules and so experimentation will be key to my practice at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment