Sunday 9 October 2016

Studio Brief 1 - How to... INITIAL IDEAS




INITIAL IDEA GENERATION


Studio brief 1 asked me to devise 100 possible responses to to the problem of 'How to wear a blanket'. Unpicking the brief, I considered the various definitions of 'wear'; to cause deterioration, to have on the person, and to carry as a covering. Working to three interpretations gave me more scope for ideas, covering fairly conventional responses such as 'on your knees', to more humorous ideas; 'dress up as a burrito'. Working with written ideas first helped my process as I was struggling to draw from the first ideas and so recording these in writing helped me to pin down and exhaust possible paths within the 100 ideas. My initial drawings documented possible imagery but I was struggling to really understand the form of the blanket and I was advised my my peers to reject character at this stage as it restricted the reality of my ideas. I worked in photographs to record these 100 ideas as an exercise in getting to know the blanket.


Activating my written ideas with practical investigation provided not only a wealth of visual resources from which to develop my drawings, but an acquired understanding of how the blanket should perform in these drawings. Being playful with the blanket opened up further ideas whilst also making some ideas seem challenging to realise.


From these references I then observed a selection of my ideas in ink drawings, mimicking the fall of the blanket with the flow of the brush. To develop my 24 refined images I will make more drawings from my collected resources and practice these to achieve an idea about which seem most communicative.

No comments:

Post a Comment