Thursday 15 November 2018

REFLECTION #1 - Extended Practice Group Crit

FEEDBACK

Is the proposal viable?
-Think of an exhibition as end goal to drive a varied and extensive practice
-To push possibilities focus on scale > THINK BIG
-Gap in the industry for heritage and history focussed work
-Proposal is narrative focussed so practical possibilities are wide and varied

What next?
-Explore heritage
-Continue to be research driven
-Wooden characters and shapes to drive scale and tactility
-Work towards exhibition
-Explore working with different materials to push practice forward; wood etc
-Start with zines and mini/quick projects to drive momentum

Recommendations for research tasks:
-Harewood House brief > broaden heritage context and research; LIVE BRIEF
-Consider places to hold workshops & exhibitions e.g. Armley/ Community venue
-Remain appealing to children > making history inclusive and accessible

Other feedback:
-Think of 7x7 image as a symbol of current narrative concerns > message/ type?
-consider small quick/ day briefs to push momentum; a series of mini zines on aspects of heritage

REFLECTION #1

At this stage in my extended practice I feel its difficult to really identify any clear development points, I'm still certainly finding my feet with COP and haven't quite figured out the duality of my practice. I see extended practice as an opportunity to run with ideas explored in my COP research that I am passionate about developing. That being said, I feel a bit stunted by the parallel running of the modules as I'm conscious of leaving myself with enough relevant projects and briefs to submit substantial responses to the modules, without spreading myself too thinly trying to carry a dialogue across the two modules. 
Speaking with my peers, I feel I have solidified a bit more of an idea of the distinction between 601 & 603 in terms of my personal thematic and practical development. Moving forward, I do wish to investigate the relationship that heritage and social history has to my project, but rather that focussing on specific topics and briefs, I will run extended practice as an extended research project under which I will be able to focus on meaning making and acquirement of knowledge across several subject areas and processes. 

With the end goal to carry out post-graduate study, it is most relevant for me to apply my academic concerns to this module, with a view to building a research led portfolio, in place of a commercial one. Book-binding and printmaking will still be pivotal to this but perhaps serving more as presentation formats than commercial outcomes.

I think I have some more clarifying to do before I can commit to a practical direction as I feel too focussed on the thematic concerns of my COP work and do not wish to sacrifice the quality of this by over-stretching it into 603. I can, however, see a maintenance of typographic explorations underpinning this development.

No comments:

Post a Comment